With warmer weather coming this is always a favorite with fresh rhubarb. If I don't have enough rhubarb I just add strawberries. It's fantastic either way. If you have never tried rhubarb I encourage you to do so...it's delicious. This recipe is compliments of Kay Steevens.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon 3F's vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in egg yolks and cream. Add rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until set.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla. Spread over hot filling. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.